The World of Speed Museum in Oregon

So I just checked again and it still is real. The World of Speed Museum in Oregon is closing permanently. Months ago I read this but hoped it would not happen. In 2014 I went for my first visit…astounding. Such a great display for all us Salt Nuts with models and photos of lots of Bonneville speed week contenders.

1960 Mickey Thompson Challenger I

When Chrysler discontinued the 392 ci Hemi V8 engine in 1959, Mickey Thompson switched to Pontiac Engines for his next attempt at the land speed record. The 1959 Mickey Thompson Challenger I was rebuilt with four 389 ci 510 BHP V8 Pontiac engines, each with a LaSalle transmission. Thompson set a new record of 363.48 mph and a two way average of 345.33 mph.

In 1960 Mickey Thompson returned with four Supercharged engines, now producing around 700 bhp each on nitro blended fuel. Thompson’s target was to surpass Sir John Cobb’s 1947 two-way record or 394.19 mph in the Napier-Railton, with his first pass of 406.6 mph it looked as though he would succeed.

Unfortunately Thompson failed to complete the require two-way run due to  driveshaft failure. But Thompson was the first American to break the 400 mph barrier and World of Speed is proud to display his ultimate land speed contender.

On loan from the Thompson Family.

1932 BILL PETERSON FORD ROADSTER

The 1932 Bill Peterson Ford Roadster, built by Dee Wescott and Bill Peterson in 1955, was the first Sweepstakes Winner at the Portland Roadster show in 1956 and was later featured in Hot Rod magazine in September 1957. Peterson ran the show in this red and white steel “Deuce” roadster through the 1960s.

Traded to Bob and Terry Tindle for a 1958 Chevrolet Impala coupe, this car won the Street Roadster Class at the 1959 Oakland Roadster Show, and made Hot Rod’s cover. The engine is a 276 ci Mercury flathead V8; and the gearbox is a 1939 Ford with 1940 Ford hydraulic brakes. The 1932 front axle was dropped, but the frame stepped, so the car sits level.

Chuck Lawrence bought the roadster in 2005 and commissioned a 5 year frame-off restoration. Dale Withers rebuilt and repainted the car, including original pin-striping; and Paul Reichlin reupholstered the interior. The Stewart Warner gauges are original; Westcott’s handmade loop bumpers were re-plated and the tires are NOS 1950s rubber, with Dodge spinner hubcaps.

World of Speed is honored to display the 1932 Bill Peterson Ford Roadster.

On loan from Chuck Lawrence 

————————–

1935 Wayne Mahaffey Ford Phaeton

This 1935 Ford Phaeton was customized by Wayne Mahaffey in Salem between 1949 and 1950. It was featured in Hot Rod

magazine 1n June 1951 and shown at the Portland Roadster Show in 1951 and 1952.

The Phaeton’s engine is a 150 bhp, 246  ci 1946 Cadillac flathead V8 with Hydramatic transmission. Mahaffey had the windshield chopped three inches  and a custom Carson top made by Portland Top Company. The front was dropped 2 1/4 inches and the rear frame  stepped 6 inches. It is fitted with 1937 DeSoto bumpers and a 1935 Ford rear tire  cover. The steering and hydraulic brakes are 1940 Ford, while the dash gauges are 1941 Bu1ck. The interior was by Gaylord of California.

Mahaffey sold the car in 1958 and nearly three decades later, 1n 1986J AI Drake  found it in Denver. Back in his possession, Mahaffey sold it to Johnny “JB’ Bartlett in  1987, who began a restoration with Mahaffey doing pa1nt, body, and assembly. When Bartlett died in 2001, Mahaffey bought the car back and finished it.  Dick Elverud rebuilt the motor in 2002, while Guy’s interiors reupholstered the  interior and top.
World of Speed is honored to display Mahaffy’s restored 1935 Ford Phaeton.

On loan from Wayne Mahaffey

—————————-

1929 Bentley “Old Number One” 6.5/BL Speed Six 

Built in 1929, Old Number One was the second Speed Six built and was done so specifically as a racecar. For its entire race career (1929 -1932), it was owned

by either the factory or Woolf Bamato (the chairman and majority shareholder of Bentley from 1926 to 1931) and was continually modified to keep the car as competitive as possible. The car was originally fitted with a four-seat sports body to meet 1929 Le Mans requirements, however later that same year a second shell was constructed by Vanden Plas for 8rooklands racing. The bodies were changed as needed. 

In 1929, Old Number One took first place at Le Mans with Woolf Barnato and Sir Henry ‘lim” Birkin behind the wheel. The car would continue to have a successful season with a first place finish at the Brooklands Six Hour, second at the Irish GP, and second at the Brooklands 500 Mile. An astonishing record! For the 1930 season, Old Number One was rebuilt to meet new requirements and would go on to repeat win Le Mans while being driven by Damato and Glen Kidston. After the 1930 Le Mans, the car had its and it became the personal property of Barnato to transportation.

In 1931 Barnato put the track body back on the car as well as a new Streamlined tail and took second place at the 1931 Brooksland 500 mile and third place at the 1932 8rooklands Empire Trophy. For the 1932 Brookslands 500 mile a new 8 liter engine was installed. During this race, driver Clive Dunfee was lapping the course at approximately 127 mph and crashed over the top of the banking. Dunfee as tragically killed and the car was severely damaged.

Barnato eventually had the car rebuilt as a road going coupe and drove it roughly 10,000 miles during his honeymoon tour of the US. The car sits today as it would have appeared prior to its last race. 

On loan from a private collection

————————————–

1927 ROBERT E. LEE FORD MODEL T ROADSTER PICK UP

From age 15, Robert E. Lee spent four years building his 1927 Ford Model T Roadster Pickup, starting with a 354 ci Chrysler Hemi V8, and a 1939 Ford three-speed gearbox. Lee shortened the bed, added Model A fenders and headlights and a 1921 Model T radiator shell, and fitted Stewart Warner gauges.

Lee used 1941 Ford wheels, axles, and brakes as well as added front and back nerf bars, and finished the car in  Corvette white lacquer with pin-striping on the fenders. Lee was secretary of

the Multnomah Hot Rod Council, and won his first trophy at the 4th Portland Roadster Show. The pleated white vinyl interior included an upholstered pickup bed with a rack for tools, vinyl covered firewall, and gravel shield. 

Chuck Lawrence first owned the pickup in 1963 for about a year, then bought it back in 2000. He had Dale Withers do a thorough “driver quality” restoration, with emphasis on performance and usability. Now on display at World of Speed, the 1927 Robert E. Lee Ford Model T Roadster Pickup is now black, powered by the same 340 bhp, 354 ci Hemi V8 with dual four-barrel carburetors and a turbo 350 automatic transmission.

On loan from Chuck Lawrence

——————————-

1940s BELLY TANK LAKESTER TRIBUTE

Fighter aircrafts with extra “drop” fuel tanks jettisoned when

emptied were developed just in time for World War II. After WWII, hot rodder Bill Burke found a 154-gallon tank (the type used on P-51 Mustang fighter aircrafts) in a Los Angeles surplus yard and built the first Lakester. It was crude Burke sat on a bicycle seat welded to the driveshaft but went 131 mph at El Mirage Dry Lake in 1946.

For 1947, Burke built Suite Sixteen using a 315-gallon P-38 tank, which was 13’6″ long and 3′ across the middle. He placed the engine in the back with the gearbox bolted to the rear axle, and sat up front with his head poking through the top. With a Mercury V8, Weiand heads and manifold, a Weber cam, and Spalding ignition, Burke set a Class C record at 139.21 mph and the style for the future.

Bobby Green’s Old Crow Speed Shop of Burbank, California, built the World of Speed’s 1940s Belly Tank Lakester as a tribute to Bill Burke with a 315-gallon tank and channel frame. Green used a Ford V8-60 engine with Edelbrock heads and intake, and the gearbox bolted to a Ford rear end.

———————

1948 CADILLAC CLUB COUPE

Aircraft influence in American car design took off with the 1948 Cadillac Club Coupe, whose tailfins were inspired by the WWII

Lockheed P-38 Lightning twin-engine fighter. GM’s Head of Special Projects, Frank Hershey saw the P-38 Lightning in 1941 and was fascinated by its twin-boom tail. When the 1948 Cadillac was in the design phase during 1945, Hershey had the stylists add the tailfins and swooping through lines from the P-38. Hershey’s boss Harley Earl ordered him to remove the tailfins but GM President Charles Wilson and Chairman Alfred P. Sloan OK’d the Cadillac signature. The public loved the “rudder-type” styling, and though 1948 was a short eight-month production year, Cadillac sold 49,374 coupes, sedans, and convertibles with fins. 
The World of Speed’s 1948 Cadillac Club Coupe is an extremely sound well-restored example. The left-hand taillight swings up to reveal the fuel filler cap, which confounded gas station attendants.

——————-

1929 NAVARRO FORD DRY LAKES RACER

The Navarro Ford Dry Lakes Racer was built by expert tuner Barney Navarro in 1948 using a 1929 Ford. He was one of the first to figure out how to fit a 3:71 GMC blower onto a Ford V8 with multiple carburetors, recording a 147 mph pass.

This car competed through 1953, winning A Class streamliner (183 cubic inches) on one occasion while running a supercharged 181 cubic inch motor with a 180 degree crank. Because of the flat crank, four pistons and connecting rods were

removed. It also competed in 0 Class (91 cubic inches). The 1927 Navarro Ford Dry Lakes Racer was rediscovered at a Turlock, California, swap meet in the early 1990s as a chassis with all body panels. A lucky find at a Colorado swap meet soon after unearthed an Ingles nose, believed to be the only one left that is complete. Rebuilt to its original specifications, this classic dry lakes racer is a welcome addition to World of Speed.

On loan from Scott and Sandy Perrott

———

1979 MARKLEY-BRUINS TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

Competing out of Federal Way, Washington, driver Gaines Markley gained fame by setting an NHRA national record of 234.37 mph in 1972.

Markley continued racing for several years before Rob Bruins joined Markley as a driver in 1976. When the 1978 season came around they had renowned  builder AI Swindahl construct a new rear-engine car.



The 1979 Markley-Bruins Top Fuel Dragster was powered by a 1978 Keith Black 426 Hemi with an 8-71 Bowers blower, Enderle 3-rib bug catcher and two-speed Lenco with no reverse. In 1979 the team was runner-up at the WinterNationals, Mile-High Nationals and World Finals powering them to the 1979 Championship on divisional wins.

Rob Bruins was reunited with his old car at Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington where he made his last pass. He recalls his last race in the car:

“We’d never blown a motor, but we sure did at Seattle in 1981. On the first run, the crankshaft broke. The only thing left was two throws of the crank and the clutch linkage.”

Original crew member Chris Horn managed to find most of the car over the years including the original chassis, roll cage and block off the 1979 Markley-Bruins Top Fuel Dragster. Devoted as he was, Horn felt the World of Speed was the best place for this celebrated piece of drag racing history. 

Engine: 482 C./. Keith Black HEM/on Nitromethane

Drivetrain: Lenco 2spd and DANA60 rear

Restored by: Wren Racing

——————————

1961 KALIVODA-HAMLIN ’23-T ROADSTER

Prior to Kalivoda, the roadster was owned by Ed Norton and Armie

Marion. Running on fuel, the car held the Shelton, Washington, B/MR strip record with an 11.08 ET and a trap speed of 128 mph.

In 1961, Dick Kalivoda and John Hamlin added a “new” high-octane DeSoto which was another 296-incher, but this time running Jahns pistons, Grant rings, an I sky cam, and a polished but stock DeSoto crankshaft with the oil holes enlarged. A Schiefer Velvetouch clutch delivered the goods through the same 1939 Ford box with Zephyr gears that Norton and Marion used.

Later, the roadster’s front steel wheels were replaced with 2. 75 Avon motorcycle tires on wire rims; a pair of 8-inch Halibrand  mags in the rear ran 8:00 x 15 M&H slicks. New headers were made and the car was repainted Cadillac Bahama Blue, giving it the nickname 01′ Blue.

Kalivoda stored the 1961 Kalivoda-Hamlin 28-T Roadster in his ex-father-in-law’s chicken barn in Falls city, Oregon, from 1962 to An unexpected last minute opportunity · brought the roadster out of retirement. After a few more shows, it went on display at the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona California before being acquired in 2012 for the World of Speed. 

——————–

1925 Wusz Dodge Roadster

The Wusz Roadster was originally built by Jim Miller in 1950

using a 1925 Dodge Roadster with an Ardun overhead valve conversion on a Ford V8 flathead engine. The Hemi head was designed by Ardun’s Zora-Arkus Duntov who would go on to develop the Chevrolet Corvette.

The car won Best of Show at the 1955 Portland Roadster Show and was subsequently sold to Frank Wusz in roughly 1959 to become one of the most successful Northwest drag racers. Between 1960 and 1975 Frank Wusz and his whole family were involved in racing the car, which was first fitted with a DeSoto Hemi engine, then a 413 Dodge, 413 Max Wedge 426 Max Wedge, 426 Hemi, and then finally a 320 Dodge. For one year it was a national record holder.

In 1975 the Wusz Dodge Roadster was sold back to Jim Miller who rebuilt it to its original specifications for the 25th Portland Roadster Show. Miller had enough parts that he actually built two cars- one in each of the Wusz car’s configurations. World of  Speed is honored to display the roadster in its original version.

On Joan from Scott and Sandy Perrott

———————-

1961 Duedall-Marrs B/Comp Coupe

This 1961 B/Comp Coupe was originally built in 1961 by Bob

Duedall and Ed Marrs of Albany, Oregon, using a K88 dragster frame purchased in California and a cut-own Model T body. It featured a 283 ci Chevrolet V8 bored out to 292 ci with Hill born fuel injection, 48 Ford gearbox, and Ford Anglia front axle. It competed in three classes: Competition Coupe, B Modified roadster, or B Dragster (without the body). 

Run mostly as a B/Comp coupe, Duedall enjoyed a two-year winning streak and turned 130 mph at 10.63 seconds, setting numerous records at West Coast tracks and being featured in Drag News.

More than 30 years later the Coupe was found in a  barn in Scio and completely rebuilt to its original form by Jim lindsay, Ron Austin, and Dave Rue. When Bob Duedall sat in his car once again, he had not seen it for 50 years.

On loan from Jim Lindsay

—————————

1961 CHEVROLET BISCAYNE FLEETMASTER

Chevrolet introduced the 409 VB in 1961; only 142 were ordered, primarily for Impalas and Super Sports. This 1961 Chevrolet

Biscayne Fleetmaster was delivered with a 4-speed 409 VB. This limited one-year model is one of only 13B Plain Janes “for cities and salesmen.” It has no heater, radio, or armrests; but has cardboard door panels, rubber mats, and simple seats; saving 68 pounds from the standard sedan.

Before he could order the car, Allen May needed a “racing only” letter from Glen Volz’ Salem Speed Shop. May won the Southern Oregon liming Association SS/S class in 1961. He blew up the 409 in 1962, fitted it with a 348 tri-power engine, and won E/ Stock at the WinterNationals.

In 1964 May sold the Biscayne to the Burton brothers, who added a 425 bhp 409 VB engine and raced throughout the 1960s. Butch Schultz bought it in 1976, updated the engine, and won his class at the 19B2 AHRA Spokane World Finals, running high 11’s, and racing through 1992. This rare Chevrolet Biscayne Fleetmaster on display at World of Speed has been restored to its original specifications with the help of Allen May, the Burton Brothers, and Glen Larson. On loan from Butch & Debbie Schultz

—————————–

1963 PLYMOUTH 426 MAX WEDGE STAGE II BELVEDERE

The Plymouth 426 Max Wedge Stage II Belvedere rose above ~ when the NHRA changed Super Stock rules for 1963. Entries had to be factory built and sold in dealer showrooms which meant only a Dodge or Plymouth could win Stock or Super Stock.

Engine rule changes meant that Mopar’s 413 Max Wedge could be bored to 426 ci, good for 415 bhp at 11:1 compression or 425 bhp at 13.5:1 on race gas. The Max Wedge Stage II offered larger valves and carburettors, higher-lift camshaft, and ported cylinder heads. A new A-833 four-speed gearbox replaced the T-85 three-speed, and owners could trade in their old gearbox. World of Speed’s 1963 Plymouth 426 Max Wedge Stage II Belvedere is one of 66 Plymouth Max Wedges. Originally sold in the USA, it was restored in Canada in the early 1990s. Showing roughly 45,000 miles, it went on the show circuit, scoring trophies in 1993, 1995, 1998, and 1999.

———————

1969 NANOOK AAIFUEL ALTERED

The 1969 Nanook AA/Fuel Altered is the second in a series of

nine Nanooks AA/Fuel Altereds campaigned by Dave and Linda Hough from 1964 to the present.

This second Nanook was a ground breaking design built by Don Tuttle’s California Chassis Engineering in 1968. Tuttle’s unusually low engine placement reversed the time-honored trend of raising altered engines to generate optimum weight transfer. Campaigned for three seasons, the fiberglass replica of a 1923 Ford Model T mounted on a 102-inch wheelbase was usually quick and fast, running a 6.92 ET at 216 mph.

In 1995, Gene DeBortole began a faithful restoration and was subsequently received by Bucky Austin’s private Tacoma, Washington, drag racing museum. The 1968 Nanook AA/Fuel  Altered has a new home at the World of Speed.

———————-

1969 PETERSEN & FITZ TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

In the late 1960s and early 1970s the Top Fuel team of Herm Petersen & Sam Fitz was one to be reckoned with on the
West

Coast. In 1969, Petersen purchased a 188-inch wheelbase Woody Gilmore chassis with a 1957 392 Hemi and placed 2nd in NHRA Division 6. As a result of that success, Sam Fitz approached Petersen about being partners in 1970. Petersen built the engines and drove the car while Fitz lined up sponsors. When rear-engine cars appeared in 1971 the team bought the first in the Northwest from Gilmore. Petersen was very successful in 1971 and 1972 but he crashed at Orange International Raceway in 1973 and was badly burned.

Undeterred, he returned to win the Division 6 Top Fuel title in 1974 before retiring in 1976.

Almost 30 years later, after attending a California Hot Rod Reunion, Petersen rekindled his enthusiasm for finding his old front-engine car. He found it in Bonners Ferry Ida o, and as able o buy ·t bac _ Though Chevy powered it had never been butchered. Petersen built a correct 1957 392 Hemi with Velasco crank , Arias pistons, Crower Cam, and Mondello heads. He then had he original psychedelic paint job recreated. The car is now  on display at World of Speed

—————————-

1969 JUNGLE JIM & JUNGLE CLARE CHEVY II AAIFC

The twin 1969 Jungle Jin1 and Jungle Clare Chevy II AA/FCs were the brain-child at drag racer Russell Jan1es “Jungle Jim,

Liberman who fielded not one but two identical Chevy II AAI Funny Cars. The second car was to be driven by Clare Sanders who met Jim when they were both running out of the Funny Farm in San Jose, California.

Both Jungle cars showcase Stage 1 120-inch Funny Car chassis from Logghe Stamping, fiberglass bodies from Ron Pelligrini’s Fiberglass Ltd., tinwork by AI Bergler, and paint by Bogie. Big -block 427 Chevy engines powered both cars. Libertman preferred the simple approach of stock-block cast iron engines and 55-70 percent nitro. Both had Hilborn injected 6-71 blowers, Chrysler TorqueFlite transmissions, and 4:10 Olds rear ends. 
Both Jungle Jim and Jungle Clare eventually became part of the, Ralph Whitworth “America’s Car Collection” that went under the RM Auction hammer at the Peterseron Automotive Musem in September 2009. Both cars were purchased and consequently restored by  World of Speed’s Ron Huegli with help from Scott Davis and Parker’s Race Shoppe.

—————————–

2008/2012 TIKI WARRIOR I & II CHEVY MONZA BB/FC 

Jack Slawick of NW Race Cars originally built what became the , Warrior in 1979 for Roger Orr of Vancouver, Washington. In 1985, Roger sold the car to Clint Thompson of Klamath Falls, Oregon.

In 2007, Slawick’s funny car came to Oregon where it was given a Tiki-themed facelift with a green coat of paint, proving that green cars can win. Mike Cochran at Zigs Street Rods straightened out and painted the Monza body and Kenny Youngblood provided the lettering and airbrush work. While the bodywork was being done, Randy Parker fixed the roll cage and tinwork. In the spring of 2008, the Tiki Warrior I was complete and hit the track for the first time. In 2010, under new crew chief Scott Davis, Tiki Warrior I received a Brad Anderson 426-style Hemi with a clutch and a three-speed Lenco made the Tiki a true BB/FC. 

Tiki Warrior II debuted in 2012. It utilizes the engine-trans combo from Tiki Warrior I but has a new Parker Race Shoppe chassis 125″ wheelbase. The new Monza body was painted by Clackamas Community College with all artwork done by Mitch Kim and Jason Prouty.

—————————————-

1961 MICKEY THOMPSON CLASS F TRIBUTE

Mickey Thompson built the first “slingshot” dragster in 1954,

moving his seat behind the rear axle. Thompson took four Pontiacs to March Air Force Base in July 1961 to attack 18 speed records in Class C, D, E and F. His 1961 Class F set records for the kilo at 91.37 mph and the mile at 106.78 mph.

To fit a Pontiac engine in the under-1,000 cc class, Thompson cut a Tempest four-cylinder engine in half for a 90 ci twin. The V8 crank resulted in uneven 270- and 450-degree firing, so a 360-degree crank was machined. Forged aluminum rods and pistons and big valves were fitted. The crankshaft was counterbalanced, and the cylinders fired on alternate revolutions. A billet camshaft drove a Scintilla magneto and the oil pump. Fuel was 25 percent nitro-methane mix, with a Hillborn injector and GMC 2-71 blower. The engine was dyno’d at 257 bhp at 8,500 rpm.

World of Speed presents a tribute to Thompson’s Class F racer using the original engine with construction assistance from American Plating, Scott Davis, Mitch Kim Pinstriping, Paolo Engine Service, Marshall’s Auto Body and, Storlie Brothers Racing.

——————–

1955 JADO SPECIAL

In the early 1950s, Jim Kamboor decided to build a Class D Competition Coupe to bring to the Bonneville Salt Flats.

He picked up a 1934 coupe and with the help of friend Don Alpensfel embarked upon their project. The name Jado came from the combination of JAmes and DOn.

A lightweight 112-inch wheelbase Shelby tube assembly was mounted to the engine; a Halibrand quick-change was mounted solidly to the frame; and a 1932 Ford buggy sprung axle was mounted up front. The Aztec Red beast was powered by a 286 ci Mere fitted with Offenhauser heads, and a big S.Co.T. blower fitted with four angled Norden carburetors feeding the methanol mixture from an aircraft fuel tank.

As for the body, the top was chopped 5 inches for an overall height of just 54 inches. The passenger door was welded shut and the rear fender wells were hammered out for a smooth contour. Kamboor, who worked at Harvey Aluminum, fabricated the peaked nose, hood, complete belly pan and the rood insert, complete with air scoop, from aluminum keeping the overall weight at 1850 pounds and ultimately reaching over 175 mph.

World of Speed is honored to display the 1955 Jado Special.

——————————

1941 MERCURY OPERA COUPE

The 1941 Mercury Opera Coupe was part of the last full year of production before WWII. At the time, Mercury shared common body styles with Ford in 1941 but with more headroom than its competition. There were seven models, including a woody station wagon and two coupes.

Purchased new in April by Douglas Alkire, the Mercury Opera Coupe was later painted sea foam green, gained Hollywood flipper hubcaps, and 1942-48 Ford bumpers. The 239 ci V8 engine gained a 1950 Mercury carburetor and a tachometer and vacuum gauge were installed. In 1963, the Opera Coupe was parked in the garage and sat there until 2012. 

Now on display at World of Speed with its second coat of paint and original seats under covers, this 1941 Mercury Opera Coupe shows an indicated 60,025 miles.

—————————–

1929 NAVARRO FORD DRY LAKES RACER

The Navarro Ford Dry Lakes Racer was built by expert tuner Barney Navarro in 1948 using a 1929 Ford. He was one of the first to figure out how to fit a 3:71 GMC blower onto a Ford V8 with multiple carburetors, recording a 147 mph pass.

This car competed through 1953, winning A Class streamliner (183 cubic inches) on one occasion while running a supercharged 181 cubic inch motor with a 180 degree crank.  Because of the flat crank, four pistons and connecting rods were removed. It also competed in 0 Class (91 cubic inches).

The 1927 Navarro Ford Dry Lakes Racer was rediscovered at  a Turlock, California, swap meet in the early 1990s as a chassis with all body panels. A lucky find at a Colorado swap meet soon after unearthed an Ingles nose, believed to be the only one left that is complete. Rebuilt to its original specifications, this classic dry lakes racer is a welcome addition to World of Speed.

On loan from Scott and Sandy Perrott

—————————————————–

1963 FORD GALAXIE CUSTOM

As is the case with most car projects the owner has more than a few ideas for his car. He takes it to someone who can help with paint and body work, mechanicals, and interiors nothing to extravagant. Before you know it, a simple paint job turns into a full blown custom paint job. Mechanical clean-up becomes major changes to engine transmission and suspension. Well at this point you have to have a full custom interior to finish the car out. And that is the story of this custom 1963 Ford Galaxie.

When the project started, the car was a solid Galaxie with a 427 SOHC engine and a top-loader. All the custom modifications such as chopped top, laid back windshield, shaved handles and trim, modified fenders, smoothed and blended bumpers as well as the flawless paint were all done by Kreative Images.

Kreative Images was also responsible for the frame and suspension work as well. The welded, smoothed and blended frame had new stainless front suspension pieces and a custom Air Ride suspension incorporated. Scott Davis got the “CAMMER” running fast and the transmission shifting smoothly. Gabe Interiors stitched the gorgeous red interior. All this work paid off with a truck load of trophies including Best Custom at the Sacramento Autorama in 2010. World of Speed is honored to display this custom winner.